Cycling Related Video's

Loading...

Monday, September 10, 2007

My First Trailer


When, for the first time since I was 17, I found myself having to do without a car, I began to think about a trailer for my bicycle.

The problem was that at the time (1992) there were very few trailers on the market any many of them had a tiny payload in terms of both weight & volume.

After much searching I found a company in Scotland who could mail me a "Columbus" trailer which could carry 100kg and a big volume.

The trailer, built in Denmark, was essentially a PU canvas bag hung in a tubular steel frame which connected to the bike's saddle pin via a rather clever little universal joint.

I quickly found loads of uses for my Columbus. I delivered weekly free newspapers in it, I took the cat (in its pet box) to the vet, and I even took on a betterware round. This involved delivering catalogues of household goods, collecting them back with the orders and then delivering the goods to the customers in the trailer. I didn't earn a lot from that job so the freedom from car tax, insurance & fuel was a godsend.

The problem with the trailer was that is was ridiculously easy to roll over. Too tight turns into driveways would flip it every time. On one occasion I managed to invert it while on the way to the bottle bank. Glass all over the road! What fun!

Eventually I got another car and principly due to lack of storage space I sold my bike & trailer, an action which I have regretted ever since. I can't find a columbus trailer on the net these days and a google image search only revealed only one picture which I've included.
My second foray into the world of bike trailers came early this year. Visit again for the story.

No comments:

Google